A 34-year-old girl and her two children have been reportedly burnt beyond recognition in a gas explosion in the Amekpa area, in Ughelli North Local Government Area of Delta State.
It was gathered that the episode occurred on Tuesday evening once the gas cylinder the deceased used in cooking abruptly exploded.
The names of the girl and her children could not be ascertained at the time of submitting this report, but it was learnt that when the gas cylinder exploded, a part of the building housing two apartments was razed down from the fire.
It was also learnt that the husband of the deceased, who’s an industrial tricycle operator, was not at home when the incident occurred.
Some residents said the family had newly moved to the region from Warri.
Eyewitnesses said that some residents and sympathisers who made frenzied efforts to save victims and put out the flame continued injuries in the fire.
The eyewitness clarified the inferno would have extended to neighbouring buildings but the instant response from the employees of the Delta State Fire Service in Ughelli saved the circumstance.
The father of the deceased children had tried to leap into the fire to save his loved ones, but he was held back as it was discovered that the victims had died.
Read Also: Update on Lagos tanker explosion: Three persons burnt to death, many wounded, 30 on admission ― NEMA
According to an eyewitness: “The man is a Keke motorist and was the one that brought the children from school. He had just returned this evening to meet their home on fire. His wife and two children were inside the burning home.
“He wanted to move indoors if he can help rescue thembut neighbours held him down to let firefighters and sympathizers put off the fire.
“While the woman died inside the kitchen in which she was said to be cooking, her kids were burnt in the parlour.”
Occupants of the 2nd apartment, which was razed down, were nevertheless lucky as the explosion occurred when they were outside of their home.
The bodies of the deceased have been reportedly evacuated to the mortuary in the Ughelli Central Hospital by officials of the fire support.
When contacted, the Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO) DSP Edafe Bright, just said:”I’m not aware of the incident.”
694 total views, 2 views today